Friday, November 25, 2011

After The Storm

I held onto you put my life on hold
four years of dreaming and hoping
then finally the day came
you showed me a ring
and said will you marry me
i was excited i said yes
this is what i have been waiting for
that was one of the best days of my life
but it might as well been a dream
it came in on a storm and disappeared into the fog
thunder crashed lightning struck
arguing and fighting
the rain fell and we were done
the tears welled in my eyes
like a stream swelling from the downpour
falling down my cheeks
as if a dam had broken
fighting every night to sleep to find comfort
there was none
i was ready to say i am done
to throw in the towel this storm was too much
but like the victims of Katrina
I will rise again

The storm has passed and the skies are clear
time to survey the damage
the debris is overwhelming
dreams that became shattered
fear that consumed me
as if a tornado enveloped me
and set me down
in a life that is in total disarray
i began to collect the pieces
like a child collecting sea shells on the shore
examining each treasure and dusting it off
asking do i keep it or let it go
love...Keep
Memories.. Keep
Happiness...Keep
Pain... I can hold onto this for a while
Hurt... put it in my pocket
Confidence... its shattered but i collect the pieces
one by one i collect my emotions and my life
I rise to my feet and walk away

Its been a year since the storm
looking back on where i once was
the debris is gone
I am now soaring high above the seas
reaching deep within and grasping
the pain and hurt
casting them from my hand into the sea
setting my self free
no longer held captive
by the storm

No comments:

Post a Comment