Saturday, March 10, 2007

"HOLDING" ON

This is a different kind of writing for me. What I am writing are words that God has shown me and is telling me to use to reach myself as well as others. As I am writing God is talking to me and telling me to LET GO, Why Are you Holding on? I am holding you so you don't have to hold onto it anymore. God is talking to me about the pain and shame I hold onto. I have held onto the pain and the shame of my youth for too long and I thought I didn't know how to let it go... BUT God... Is taking my hand and leading me on. So I reach to him and say I will Let Go and Hold On to you.


The definition of Holding has many different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Some examples are:

1. To physically hold something: to have or keep in the hand; keep fast; grasp: She held the purse in her right hand

2. To hold without touching: to set aside; reserve or retain: to hold merchandise until called for.

3. Holding yourself back: To keep back from action; hinder; restrain: Fear held him from acting.

4. Who is Holding you back? a controlling force or dominating influence: to have a hold on a person.

5. Holding onto your faith: to have or keep in the mind; think or believe: We hold this belief.


With the first example of Holding it is showing an example of holding onto something in a physical sense. There are many different things that we can hold physically. We can hold the word of God in our hand. We can hold a piece of paper or a family member who is hurt. What is it that you are holding onto? With the second example it is showing the way we hold on with out having to touch it physically. This can be the pain of your youth or the what ifs. This can be holding onto a dream or nightmare. What is it that you are holding onto? The third example is showing us how we hold ourselves back. Is it fear that is holding you back, is it knowing that if you let go more trials will come? What is is that you are holding onto? The fourth example is showing us that there are people in our lives who are holding us back. This can be a family member, a friend, an enemy, someone you have not forgiven. Whoever it may be ask yourself why am I holding on? So again God asks me What is it that you are holding onto? The fifth and final example shows us how we hold onto things we believe. Are you holding onto the word of God? Are you holding onto your faith? What is it that you are holding onto? Going back to the 2nd example about putting something on reserve... God already has your robe waiting for you it is your choice whether or not you want to pick it up. God already has your crown waiting for you again you have a choice to make.


What are you willing to let go of in order to gain a closer relationship with God? What have you been holding onto that God is telling you to let go of? After you have thought about this for a while ask yourself why am I still holding onto it? Is it worth the pain, is it worth sacrificing what God has in store for you because you want to hold onto it? God is trying to tell us that we need to come to him empty so HE can fill us up. We can not go to him half empty and expect the miracle that is waiting for us to come. We can not go to him full because there will be no room for him to work. God is beginning a new work in us so we have to lay aside our garments and accept what He has. He died for us so we wouldn't have to "hold" onto the pain and the shame of our past. He endured physical pain for us. All He is asking us to do is let go of what we are holding onto.

1Corinthians 15:2-4 KjV
2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15:2-4 NKJV
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

The word keep and hold have the same meaning in this scripture. They both mean to retain or to save. He tells us plainly to hold fast to his teachings. To hold fast to our faith, and the Love we have for Him. There is no room in our hearts for pain and for the what ifs. The only room we have in our hearts should be a room where the Holy Spirit can dwell and minister to us. If we are holding onto the past then there is no room for the spirit to move. It is as if we are cutting Jesus off by saying... No you can't have that because I want to keep it. How many times does God say no you can't have this it is mine? Is it fair to keep things that belong to him? That was one of the main reasons why He died on the cross. He died for our sins.

My pastor has been teaching us about how to be more kingdom minded. What I have gathered so far from his teachings are that we have to be Spirit filled and Spirit led. We can not have one foot in the church and another in the world. God doesn't work that way. One of the scriptures that has been mentioned a lot during this study is Revelations 3:15-16 which states:

15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

By still holding onto things that are not of God we are considered Luke warm Christians. We go to church on Sunday, get a little nudge by the Holy Spirit and are ok until Monday. When Monday comes around we start to pick up the things that we have left at the alter the previous day. Why is that. Why do we put ourselves through the same pain over and over again? God already provided the sacrifice for our sins and pain.

God is asking me now as I write are you cold or are you hot? I respond with Lord I am Hot but I want to be hotter. I want to be filled more than what I am. I want you to guide my footsteps. I don't want to Hold onto my past anymore, I don't want to hold onto anyone or anything that will hinder me from becoming what you already foresee me as becoming. Lord I am sorry for what I have done and how I have hindered you from the work that you have begun in me.

So I ask you what is it that you are holding onto, that God has been telling you to let go of? All you have to do is say Lord I give you (fill in the blank) I don't want it anymore. I don't want anything to separate me from You. Lord my cup is empty please fill it so it runs over. Fill it so I can minister to those around me. Fill it so I can walk into a room a change the atmosphere just by my presence.

He is waiting for you to speak to him. He is waiting for you to Let go of what you have been holding onto. So Let Go and Let God.












No comments:

Post a Comment